WHEN IT’S WARM OUTSIDE, WINTER SEEMS SO FAR AWAY
But when it’s warm, that the best time to make improvements to your roof to get ready for the winter!
Whether you own or manage one building or several, be sure to perform seasonal maintenance checks. Regular checks of your entire building should keep repairs to a minimum.
This fall, be sure to do the following:
Inspect sidewalks and parking lots for cracks and uneven pavement. Harsh winter weather will intensify any existing damage. It’s less expensive to repair damage early on.
- Clear roof drains of debris.
- Check junction points at the roof-to-wall and examine all flashings.
- On a single-ply roof, check for any re-caulking needs.
- Check for splits in the stripping plies on a bituminous roof.
- Watch for signs of wet insulation or leaks, and perform a moisture survey periodically.
- Minimize roof traffic to avoid any membrane damage.
- Perform a seasonal start-up and run inspections.
- Check couplings and inspect for leaks.
- Clean or replace air filters.
- Inspect the weather stripping around doors.
- Caulk any cracks around windows.
- Inspect sump pumps and sewage ejection pumps.
- Check for leaks.
- Drain and close any external spigots.
As we all know, it’s much easier and less costly to fix a small problem, than a big one. Seasonal checks can keep your maintenance costs down.