The Atlanta Farmers Market has become one of the premier farmers markets in the South after many years of quality produce, good service, and friendly farmers. It is one of the largest farmers markets in the world, at 150 acres. It is not just a farmers market though; it also includes a garden center, wholesale and retail activities, and serves as a distribution and marketing center for fresh produce in the Southeast.
The Market’s 62,000 square foot roof was gravel surface SPF and was installed in 1992. During the 22 year life of the roof, no maintenance work was ever completed. The result of this neglect was a roof with many leaks that created an unsafe work environment and damaged goods. Although SPF roofs can last 40 or more years, annual inspections and minor maintenance are required to maintain a leak-free roof. The Market desperately needed anew roof, but the installation was difficult to coordinate with its operating schedule: open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This meant that whatever roofing solution was chosen had to be non-invasive and installed quickly.
Insulated Roofing Contractors chose the Progressive Materials SF4200 SPF roofing system to replace the old roofing system. Some of the main reasons the Progressive Materials SPF roofing system was chosen were:
- The new system could be applied directly to the existing foam after scarification procedures.
- The Progressive Materials silicone roof coating applied over top of the foam would provide superior protection from the elements as compared to the old gravel coating.
- The combination of Progressive Materials SPF roofing system with a silicone coating meant the roof would be easier to maintain for many years to come.
- The project could be completed with a 6 man crew without shutting down the Farmers Market.
Scope of Work
• Scarified 2/3’s of roof surface to remove damaged foam.
• Located existing wet areas via infrared scan.
• Removed and replaced all wet insulation.
• Applied SPF system to the entire roofing system.
• Coated entire roofing system with Progressive Materials Low-Solids Silicone Coating.
The new SPF roofing system provides a longer lasting roof system versus the older foam and gravel system. The new sustainable roof is leak free and completely renewable in 10-12 years by simply applying a new silicone coating. The new system also provided the following benefits to the Market:
- The market suffered no downtime during construction.
- Substantial installation, maintenance, and energy savings.
- Decreased environmental impact of the facility.
- The roof is now covered under a full-system, leak-free warranty.
- LEED credits qualification.
IRC is always proud to help with community projects whether they are local or across the country. Bringing people together under one of our roofs for such a great cause like the Atlanta Farmers Market is why we do what we do and we consider it a privilege.